This month, get a head start on learning all about sparkling wines before your New Year’s Eve celebrations. Did you know that champagne exclusively comes from the region of Champagne, France, and all other bubbly wine is referred to as sparkling wine?
Join your neighbors and fellow wine enthusiasts for a tasting facilitated by Sommelier Inga Varney. Bring a bottle of your favorite bubbly and an appetizer to share with the group. Cheers!
Must be logged in to RSVP
Sparkling wine suggestions:
- “Champagne” is from the Champagne region of France. This will be pricier than most others (but delicious)
- Sparkling Wine that is similar to Champagne will include any of the following terms on the label depending on where it is from (California, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc)
- Methode Tradicional/Traditionnelle
- Traditional Method
- Methode Champenoise
- Metodo Classico
- Klassiche Flaschengarung
- Other Sparkling Wine includes:
- Cava (from Spain)
- Prosecco (from Italy)
- Franciacorta (from Italy)
- Gruet (from New Mexico)
Sweetness Levels: Sparkling wines can be dry (or not sweet) to very sweet. Here is the order from driest (least sweet) to sweetest:
- Brut Nature
- Extra Brut
- Extra Dry (yes, even though it is called “Extra Dry”, it is sweeter than the three above it)
Food: There are a variety of food options to pair with champagne. Here are some suggestions:
- Soft cheese and salami
- Savory egg dishes
- Potato Chips (may be frowned upon by the wine world, but crunchy/salty pairs well with bubbles)
- Sweets like milk chocolates/caramel, tortes, etc.
About Inga Varney
Inga Varney was trained at the International Wine Guild and is now a Level II Certified Executive Sommelier. She is also the owner of Wine Star Services. She’s excited to share her knowledge of sparkling wine with Grapenuts.
One of DC Ranch’s longest active groups, Grapenuts is a wine appreciation club where residents come together monthly to taste and share wines. Discussion usually centers on the wine region, the cost, and if it was enjoyable. With good food and wine, the setting is the perfect pairing for socializing with your neighbors and friends.
For more information, please call the Community Council at 480.342.7178.